Saturday, 21 January 2012

Only a fool says, "It's just fabric."

 ~ I dedicate this post to my Aunt Karen who inspired me to sew. ~
(Happy Birthday!)

I would say I'm a practical person. My creativity arises from practicality. So when I decided to learn how to sew, I wanted to practice by making something useful. I also didn't want to spend lots of money on material if I was "just practicing". I looked up a few tutorials on youtube for easy things to sew - pillow cases seemed like a hit. My husband then handed me a bunch of shirts that he deemed unwearable and  that is when I decided: I can make a pillowcase out of a shirt! and I did.
This was my second attempt and since it seems like a pretty cool (and easy!) project, I decided to make a tutorial out of it.


What you need:

a shirt (buttoned up), sewing machine, scissors, pins and a pillow.
Yep. That's all. 


Lay the pillow on the back of the shirt and cut out a rectangle slightly bigger than the pillow (I used the pattern to cut along a straight line). Then use the piece as a template on the front - make sure the buttons, pocket or anything you want on the pillow fit.



 Lay the pieces together - right sides facing each other - and pin all the way around. 
 Sew up the sides and cut away excess material at the corners. 



Open the buttons and flip the pillowcase by grabbing the corners and pulling the right side out.


Stuff in your pillow and button it up.

(Sorry about the blur - I guess my fingers were just flying...)


 And voilà! A pillowcase with button holes, buttons...

...and even a practical pocket. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Marie, you are so sweet. The pillow looks great! Very creative the way you made the buttons so you could replace or wash the pillow. I can't wait to see the blanket!

Merrill&Peggy said...

Great Idea Marie, you should never run out of shirt pillows.

Brigitte said...

Haha! That is awesome! I've never seen an idea like that before. I'm going to have to pin that to pinterest (with your permission). Good job, Marie :)

Richard and Louise said...

Thanks you guys. It's a rewarding little project for beginners. Go ahead and share it. I'm sure it would work with t-shirts as well.